The National Hydrologic Warning Council (NHWC), with membership across the United States and around the world, is a non-profit organization dedicated to assisting emergency and environmental management officials by providing expert advice on the use of real-time, high quality hydrologic information from automated remote data systems, with the goals of protecting lives, property, and the environment.
NEW! Click here for the latest issue of The NHWC Transmission.
2017 Conference Click here to go to the 2017 Conference
- August 17, 2017 - Registration is open for our 9th Annual Texas Workshop, titled "Hydrological Data Collection and Dam Safety". This year's workshop is being held at the historic Menger Hotel in San Antonio, Texas on November 8-9, 2017. For more information, please visit our 2017 9th Annual Texas Workshop page.
- August 10, 2017 - Our conference in Olympic Valley was a great success. For highlights, presentations, etc. please visit our 2017 Conference Page.
- June 9, 2017 - The NAPSG Foundation has announced that the National Flood Preparedness Guideline is now open for public comment. This guideline is designed to assist communities in addressing common challenges faced during the preparation for, response to, and recovery from flood disasters. The public comment period is open now through close of business on Friday, June 16, 2017. Please visit this link to review and comment on the guidelines.
- May 26, 2017 - The final 2017 Conference Agenda has been posted, adding new technical presentations from a wide variety of speakers and some exciting and fun offsite activities, including a field trip, golf tournament, and social event at High Camp. Visit the 2017 Conference website for more details.
April 11, 2017 - The 12th NHWC Training Conference & Exposition in Squaw Valley (June 5-8, 2017) is rapidly approaching. Get your registrations in before May 1, to receive discounted rates. Likewise, our room block at the resort is filling up, and the deadline for receiving reduced rates is May 15. Visit the conference website for more information / details on registration and room reservations.
- February 20, 2017 - A draft agenda has been posted for the 12th NHWC Training Conference & Exposition in Squaw Valley. Go to www.hydrologicwarning.org/conference for more information.
- November 8, 2016 - NHWC recently hosted the 2016 Texas Workshop on November 2-3 in San Antonio, Texas. The theme of the workshop was Spring 2016 Floods, and was focused on the spring floods across Texas including flood warning systems performance, flood forecasts and warnings, flood impacts, reservoir operations, and post flood activities. Other topics included radio frequency encroachment, NOAA Atlas 14, and ALERT2. Presentations from the workshop can be found at the following link: Texas Workshop Presentations.
- September 30, 2016 - The recent NHWC Northeast Regional Workshop in Albany, NY was quite a success. The theme of the workshop was Prepare to Protect, Advancing Community-Based Flood Warning. The exceptional agenda focused on technological advances and necessary considerations for developing and maintaining flood resilient communities in a changing climate. Attendees heard about recent flood events and related preparedness and response activities from many different perspectives, and had opportunities to network with peers from around the nation.
- May 25, 2016 - Important Call to Action from the National Hydrologic Warning Council - A request has been made to the Federal Communications Commission for shared access to the 1675-1680 MHZ radio spectrum between terrestrial mobile and federal uses. The NHWC strongly encourages our member organizations to review FCC Notice RM-11681, as well as to write and submit comments directly to the FCC. Instructions for doing so can be found at this link: FCC Spectrum Defense