ALERT2 Technical Working Group
Don Van Wie, Chair
The ALERT2 Protocol TWG designs and maintains the standards for the next generation of wireless communication protocols for use in real-time hydrologic monitoring systems. The TWG is in the process of finalizing the specifications, which are being tested and implemented in several systems (e.g. Denver, CO, Urban Drainage and Flood Control District, Harris County (Texas) Flood Control District and Overland Park, KS, Flood Warning Decision Support Project and Stormwater & Traffic Operations Center Integration Project, in concert with Kansas City, MO).
The current ALERT2 Protocol Specification documents are available for review and comment (see link). Please submit all comments about any of the ALERT2 documents to ALERT2@hydrologicwarning.org
- NEW! ALERT2 Intelligent Network Device Application Program Interface Specification (draft V1.0) is available for public review and comment through June 24, 2013. Click here to download.
- NHWC ALERT2 Source Address Management System (SAMS) Appeal made on January 30, 2013. Click here for details. Then, click the following link to contribute to the ALERT2 Source Address Funding. The payee is contributing funds that will be used to develop the ALERT2 SAMS. Benefits include:
- Reduction in the loss of valuable data that occurs now during storm events due to radio traffic contention.
- Capacity for 65,000 complete sites compared to 8,000 individual sensors for ALERT.
- Provides a low-cost, minimal oversight solution.
- A simple web-based application will allow system owners to easily request addresses for specific sites.
- This automated process would insure that assigned addresses are not duplicated. No fees would be charged for registering or for using the SAMS. As directed by the NHWC, the TWG would be initially responsible for developing and managing the SAMS.
- By sharing these start-up costs, participating agencies will avoid costly efforts required to resolve the problems created by inadvertent address assignment conflicts.
- Press Release - September 15, 2010 was posted on 280 news and informational websites. Reports available through BusinessWire indicate 22,292 individuals viewed the ALERT2 news release headline and more than 1,100 viewed the full news release.