Texas Flood and Dam Safety Monitoring
Best Practices Workshop
November 18-19 2009, Austin, TX
A two-day seminar/workshop sponsored by the National Hydrologic Warning Council, the Southwestern Association of ALERT Systems, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, and the Lower Colorado River Authority. Designed for
· Owners and operators of high hazard dams and levees
· River authorities
· Emergency managers
· Floodplain managers
· Flood control districts
· Public works officials
· Drainage and flood control engineers
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 starting at 9:00 a.m.
Session One: General overview of Flood and Dam Safety Monitoring
Session Two: Break out sessions for Field Techs and Management
· Field Techs – general overview of field training/practices in preventative maintenance and equipment troubleshooting
· Management – Topics on Developing and sustaining an effective monitoring program
(Gage Placement, Sensing Technologies, Telemetry Options, Data practices, IT related issues, Upcoming Technological Advances)
Thursday, November 19, 2009 starting at 9:00a.m.
Session One: Topics on Dams & Levees
Session Two: Topics on Emergency Action Plans and Public Outreach
Hosted by LCRA at Wilkerson Center for Colorado River Education at Redbud, 3601 Lake Austin Boulevard, Austin, Texas.
Registration: $125 for the two day session for NHWC members (includes lunch and snacks for both days). Rate is $175 for non-members. Secure online registration will be available on October 15, 2009.
The Hilton Garden Inn is near capacity, and can no longer honor the government rate for our event. The good news is that their sister hotel, the Hilton Austin, which is located at 500 East 4th Street (just a block away from the Garden Inn), will honor the $115/night government rate for our group through November 11th. You can sign up for the Hilton Austin as follows:
- Go to www.austin.hilton.com and select the dates
- Under group/convention code (towards the bottom) enter the 3 letter code (NHY)
- It will populate with your group information and then just select the option to reserve a room
- 1-800-445-8667 and ask for your group discount (NHY)
- 1-512-482-8000 (ask for reservations and then your group discount)
While we will not be hosting vendor booths for this event, we are offering each participating vendor an opportunity to display material on a shared table that will be set up at the entrance to the conference training room. If you are interested in displaying some hand-outs/materials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. There is no fee for this opportunity.